The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT offers scholarships to international students who wish to earn their bachelors degree at Japanese universities as undergraduate students within the framework of the Japanese Government Scholarship Program (MEXT) for 2019 academic degree program session .
Host University – Students seeking to earn their bachelors degree under this scholarship will be enrolled for their degree programs at Universities in Japan.
Fields of study – Those who wish to study in Japan as an undergraduate student must choose a field of specialization from two main fields: (1) Social Sciences and Humanities and (2) Natural Sciences. These courses are bachelors degree courses targeted at students enrolled for undergrad degree program.
Check the official website for a detailed list of eligible fields of study. (Link below)
Number of scholarships – Not specified.
Target Applicants – Nationals from countries that have diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.
Benefits of scholarships / durations – The scholarship includes tuition and other fees, a subsidy of 117,000 yen per month, an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen that can be provided to persons conducting studies or research in specially designated regions, and travel costs to and from Japan. Check the official website to get all the benefits of scholarships.
The scholarship period will last five years, from April 2019 to March 2024, including the one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects that will be provided upon arrival in Japan.
- An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of the application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who have Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside Japan may apply as long as they choose the nationality of the foreign country and renounce their Japanese nationality on the date of their arrival in Japan. Japan. The selection of the applicant will be carried out at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country.
- Only applicants born between April, 1994 and April, 2002 are eligible to apply.
- Educational Background: Applicants must meet one of the below stated criteria. However, applicants who want a direct placement must meet the following conditions:
Applicants who wish to apply for this grant must have completed up to 12 years of college education in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who meet the aforementioned requirements in March 2019 are eligible.) However, applicants wishing to enroll from the fall semester through direct placement should be expected to complete 12 years of college education in August, 2019.)
- Applicants who have completed their college education in a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who meet the aforementioned requirements until March 2019 are eligible).
Apart from the above conditions 1 and 2, applicants who are eligible to enroll in a Japanese university at the time of application.
- Candidates must be willing to learn Japanese and the traditions of Japan. In addition, in principle, applicants must be willing to complete their academic studies in Japan in Japanese.
- Health: Applicants must present a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a doctor stating that the applicant does not have any physical or mental condition that prevents their study in Japan.
- Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan between April 1 and April 7, 2019. If the applicant must enroll in their university from the fall semester to the direct placement, they must: be able to arrive to Japan during the period specified by the accepting university within the two weeks before and after the start date of the relevant academic period of the university for that year.
- Visa requirement: the applicant must, in principle, obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the “Student” status of residence.
Consult the official website to know the eligibility criteria and the conditions of the scholarship.
Applicants must submit the required documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country within the required period. Because the application process differs according to the country in which the Japanese embassy is located, consult the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country for more information. The deadline for submitting applications varies according to the country.